Political Arrogance: The Enterprise Vs. The USS John P. Murtha
When I first heard this I was at a TEA Party in Lowell. I couldn’t believe it. The US Navy – OUR US Navy – has decided to name a still-to-be-built amphibious transport after career scumbag Penn Congressman John Murtha – who served briefly in Vietnam – and retired as a Colonel from the Marine Reserve. Navy and Marine veterans in the crowd were visibly shaken at the news. I damn near puked!
Meanwhile, the Enterprise is set to be decommissioned later this year. There's a petition at NRO to let the politicians know we believe there are far better things to name our ships after, than themselves. Isn't it more than a little bit shameful that we should even need to tell them? It seems so to me. Still, telling them sounds like a very good idea.
Enterprise is scheduled for deactivation and eventual decommissioning following its anticipated return later this year, marking the end of the carrier’s legendary 50-plus years of service.
And while we’re naming ships after Jimmy Carter and John Murtha and Bob Hope, keep in mind there’s no USS Lexington or Yorktown or Saratoga or Midway or Khe Sanh or, if we want to name them after people, Benjamin Franklin or John Adams or Jefferson or Madison or Monroe or Jackson. There have been nearly 1,000 Marine and Navy combat deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan — any one of those is more appropriate as the name of a ship than the USS Gabrielle Giffords.
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch