Political Arrogance: The Enterprise Vs. The USS John P. Murtha

March 13, 2012

Via the Rabid Republican blog.

When I first heard this I was at a TEA Party in Lowell. I couldn’t believe it. The US Navy – OUR US Navy – has decided to name a still-to-be-built amphibious transport after career scumbag Penn Congressman John Murtha – who served briefly in Vietnam – and retired as a Colonel from the Marine Reserve. Navy and Marine veterans in the crowd were visibly shaken at the news. I damn near puked!

Meanwhile, the Enterprise is set to be decommissioned later this year. There's a petition at NRO to let the politicians know we believe there are far better things to name our ships after, than themselves. Isn't it more than a little bit shameful that we should even need to tell them? It seems so to me. Still, telling them sounds like a very good idea.

Enterprise is scheduled for deactivation and eventual decommissioning following its anticipated return later this year, marking the end of the carrier’s legendary 50-plus years of service.

And while we’re naming ships after Jimmy Carter and John Murtha and Bob Hope, keep in mind there’s no USS Lexington or Yorktown or Saratoga or Midway or Khe Sanh or, if we want to name them after people, Benjamin Franklin or John Adams or Jefferson or Madison or Monroe or Jackson. There have been nearly 1,000 Marine and Navy combat deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan — any one of those is more appropriate as the name of a ship than the USS Gabrielle Giffords.

Comments:
  1. Ragspierre says:

Naming an assault ship after “Murderers” Murtha is pissing on every sailor and Marine who will ever serve aboard her.
    Somehow totally in keeping with the Obama regime.

2. Tom Penn says:

The Secretary of the Navy is the approval authority for naming these ships – he’s the one who is naming these after politicians. Seems that a protest should start up to end this madness.

3. Nosmo says:

Read what a fellow decorated Vietnam veteran has to say about Murtha…Just google ‘Murtha’s war hero status called into question.’

4. Neo says:

How about a escort aircraft carrier called the USS Heidi Fleiss

5. Ragspierre says:

Heh…!!!
    I think they could have a policy renaming any vessel to be used for target practice or munitions testing the “USS Murtha”.
    Think of how motivated the gunners would be!!!

6. Nosmo says:

Blumenthal, Kerry, Harkin and Murtha either lied or embellished their military sevice to get elected. What do they all have in common?

7. Ragspierre says:

Ah, right, Nosmo. A fine old Collectivist tradition dating back to “Silver Star” Lyndon, who wore a miniature of the medal on his lapel when he ran for the Senate.

8. HTW says:

Well, Nosmo. The Libtards could always point to Wes Cooley. Exaggerating one’s military record is something that is all too common in all circles. I don’t talk about my own beyond when and where I served and don’t try to act as though it gives me better insight or authority on anything except veteran’s issues, which I feel I need to be outspoken on if I hear something ignorant.
    But seriously… A carrier named after Murtha is about the most nauseating thing I can think of. I don’t even think that heroes beyond reproach should have ships named after them, partly because the symbolism attached to bringing down, say, the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, might give the enemies added incentive to single out one of these vessels. It’s not exactly an honor to a great like Ike if the ship goes down in flames.
    As the poster states, we have plenty of great historical moments, geographic locations, and characteristics and qualiie upon which to draw. And the names sound flat-out cooler. All else equal, would you rather serve on the Intrepid or the Murtha? The Iwo Jima or the Stennis? Etc.

9. Nosmo says:

HTW…I agree with you except that unlike Kerry,Murtha,Blumenthal and Harkin, when it was found out that Cooley lied,his own party forced him out of office after only a few years…whereas the dems keep their lying politicians in office for ever…

10. Ragspierre says:

Sort of a “Exception meets Rule” thang…

11. Dustin says:

To think, there’s going to be a USS Obama, and if there isn’t, someone will scream how it’s racist.
    I agree with those who think this kind of thing should come 100 years after the party is dead. Name these ships after major battles, great MOH recipients, states, and great ships from the past. We should never name a ship or federal building after a contemporary politician.
    In fact, with all those Murtha post offices, I think it makes sense to reduce the incentives by retroactively renaming any vessel named after a recent politician (as in, anyone alive remembers them being alive), with the exception of deceased Presidents and war heros.

12. Ragspierre says:

The USS Obama would have to be captained by a newly minted midshipman…with a record of non-answers.

13. Nosmo says:

Navy ship…Please change course to the left to avoid collision.
    Radar contact…Recommend you change your course to the right to avoid collision.
    Navy ship…This is the captain of a U.S. Navy ship. I say again, change your course to the left.
    Radar contact…No, I say again,you divert your course to the right!!
    Navy ship…THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS BARACK OBAMA; WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE U.S. NAVY…DIVERT YOUR COURSE TO THE LEFT…NOW!!!!
    Radar contact…This is a lighthouse…YOUR CALL

14. Gus says:

the U.S.S. SANDRA FLUKE can’t be far behind.

15. steve says:

Should be death + 25 years to name ANYTHING after any politician – ship, bridge, rest stop toilet. Cut down on the incentive to use OPM to get stroke your narcissistic ego.

16. Redteam says:

Well, I don’t know, are there any garbage scows going to be named anytime soon?

17. Going OT here, Dan.
    Can you or someone enlighten me about the new Breitbart site’s inability to archive in any sort of order? A post from yesterday is not to be found unless one can remember a key word in the title. No rhyme or reason, just willy-nilly.
    Breitbart no longer loads onto my Google feed-reader, either. It’s maddening, it’s counter-intuitive.
    Plus, Disqus sucks.