Updated: Does Mitt Romney Have A Vietnam War Problem?
Update from his Wiki: So he supported the war but took a student deferment and then a ministerial deferment to work for his church and live in a castle in France, then another student deferment before he received a high draft number. Sorry, but it doesn't exactly impress me that he strongly supported a war he mostly elected to let others fight on his behalf.
Regarding the military draft, Romney had initially gotten a student deferment, then like most other Mormon missionaries had received a ministerial deferment while in France, then got another student deferment. When those ran out, his high number in the December 1969 draft lottery (300) meant he would not be selected.
Mr Romney, pictured at left in 1968, told supporters he had experienced austerity using a bucket for a lavatory and a hose for a shower
Romney spent a year at Stanford University as the protest movement against the Vietnam War began to build momentum. Among the long hair and ragged clothes of his classmates, Romney stood out both for his smart appearance and his ardent support of the war. He left California to spend 30 months in France as part of the missionary programme undertaken by most young Mormons. He learned to speak French fluently and traveled widely across the country but made few converts. Romney was in France for the 1968 student revolts but maintained his support for the war and remained culturally conservative.
Well, he did fight with a Vietnam veteran recently. Hmm.
“I went and I fought for my country. I did my thing,” said Garon, who served in the Army in the mid-1960s. “I think my spouse should be entitled to the same entitlements that [I’d have] if I was married to a woman. What the hell is the difference?”
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch