My Quick Reaction To Palin’s Speech
Not sure if I'll say more later. I won't be surprised if the speech is rated average, or even widely panned in the media as less than expected. As long as I read off their page, it didn't stand-out. However, Palin did a solid speech for the venue. If there's an issue, it's that the venue was hyped by the media.
I have to be careful how I frame this, given some conversations going back a ways before this speech, when it first began to be talked about. In essence, if and when she announces, you'll know it and it won't be at the Tea Party event in Iowa. It wasn't meant negatively toward the venue, but it did demonstrate to me that the Palin camp viewed this speech as less significant than it was being portrayed.
But that's not meant to be a complete pass, or an excuse. One can't be responsible for what the media does, but one does have to be mindful of it. If someone is running for President, it's simply not enough to say, the media did this, or the media did that. You either don't say anything at all, or you deal with it. If one can't manage around the media, one won't manage around Washington very well. That's just a fact.
What Palin did do was use the phrase "my plan," as I texted to a friend at the time. She also laid the groundwork for a genuine conservative campaign plank quite apart from a more establishment Republican like Perry. Based on what I saw today, I'm not prepared to fork up the $100 for charity it's going to cost me if she doesn't run. If anything, I may be feeling a bit more comfortable with the bet.
Finally, Palin needs to lose the notion that she can continue to not control venues for her speeches after this weekend. I cringed with Mr. Iowa Tea Party, or whomever, invoked the Civil War as the North representing Big Government and the South conservatism. Not only is it historically inaccurate, it's Paulian nut job land that ultimately sounds rather ugly and Palin would be wise to avoid the risk of being linked to it in the future, however inadvertantly.
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch