Why The McConnell Plan Is A Loser For The GOP
You can read down into the details of McConnell's plan to avoid voting to raise the debt ceiling via Philip Klein. Once again, steeped in Beltway politics, the GOP has out thought itself and will be a loser on this one, while fooling themselves into believing they've actually won something.
To them, three meaningless dog and pony shows in stages running into election 2012 is a win because Obama, not the Congress, will be raising the debt limit. Nonsense. What they will be doing is abrogating their responsibility and playing politics, to boot.
It is Obama, not the GOP, that is holding to his principles. Consequently, Obama comes off looking strong, while the GOP looks weak. And those three, or however many, dog and pony shows? They are genuinely meaningless. If they were going to cave to Obama – and that is precisely what they will be doing, they could have at least done that straight up in a principled manner. Instead, they will be seen as conniving, forcing the nation to endure otherwise meaningless political theater time and again as all this silliness plays out. Principled behavior, even in defeat, appears to be too much to ask from today's GOP leadership.
If you want to know how truly stupid and useless is today's Republican Party, just sum it up – it's the simple truth. They caved on their self-professed principles, look weak in comparison to Obama, while doing precisely the type of thing Americans loathe – playing politics and engaging in meaningless theatrics on issues of national import. And to them, all that constitutes a smart move and adds up to a win.
What it tells us is the establisment GOP is run by a bunch of losers. Today's GOP is worse than useless, it's an enabler and a willing partner of the Democrats in Big Government Washington that voters threw out in droves as recently as 2010. The GOP has all but squandered any momentum they might have enjoyed from last year. By 2012, voters will be throwing some of them out, too.
And they will deserve it.
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch