Elites Versus The Ruling Class
An interesting observation via Ace on what defines someone as elite.
And note this is quite necessary: The "elite" are not made up of the rich. Sure, there are many rich in the elite, but that's not what makes them elite. There are many poor "elite" who claim to be elite not due to their salary or position but due to thinking what the other elites think only.
I agree, except perhaps to the extent at least some education must be involved. But Ace is probably just emphasizing the point. There are high school kids who fancy themselves a part of the cultural elite. But I would probably differentiate between that so called elite and the ruling class.
In that case, a member of the ruling class might even be considered somewhat Center Right; however, money, education and position matter a great deal. And that presents a real challenge for both conservatives and libertarians. Having such individuals in the ruling class, like Bush and others, compassionate conservatives in that instance, makes it extremely difficult for an honest small government mindset to prevail. Read the whole thing.
Similarly with education — yes, the elite contains many educated people (many overeducated people, who proclaim things so stupid only an intellectual could believe them) but, again, this "elite" is not just comprised of those who hold post-graduate degrees. Or college degrees. Or high school degrees. Or even GEDs, for that matter. No, once again, "elitehood" is conferred not by any extrinsic indicator like level of education but by proud proclamation of agreement with others presumed to be in the "elite" class.
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch