Perhaps Bill Kristol Should Resign, Instead
It annoys me that neo-conservative Kristol now sees fit to grandstand on this Steele gaffe, which actually isn't as bad as it seems, see below, after having not paid attention to so much else. Point being, suddenly it's his favorite ox being gored, so he takes the pulpit. Video of Steele hear.
Your tenure has of course been marked by gaffes and embarrassments, but I for one have never paid much attention to them, and have never thought they would matter much to the success of the causes and principles we share.
You are, I know, a patriot. So I ask you to consider, over this July 4 weekend, doing an act of service for the country you love: Resign as chairman of the Republican party.
While clumsy and embarrassing, there is a solid defense for Steele's remark. Look at the US troop levels in Afghanistan. Notice anything peculiar? Obama demagogued on Iraq, using Afghanistan as the imaginary war he actually wanted to fight. And he wanted to fight it with a far more aggressive ground strategy than Bush ever pursued.
There was a reason for that, just as Steele said. History shows you can not win a ground war in Afghanistan. Yes, we were certainly engaged in Afghanistan pre-2009. But never in the way, or to the extent Obama is choosing to fight this war. He absolutely is fighting a war of his choosing, and if Bush had chosen to fight it this way, he could have done so, instead of engaging in Iraq.
I have every confidence in General Petraeus. But, according to which statement you read, Obama has, or hasn't already set a time-line for withdrawal. And Afghanistan is very much not Iraq. I also very much fear we are looking at Obama's Vietnam. Steele may not have come close to expressing himself correctly in this video. But as his follow up statement says, he is not suggesting abandoning our troops. But the concept behind his rhetoric is not totally off the mark. It was more clumsy, than it was flat-out wrong.
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch