Here Comes The Food Czar
We are all vegetarians, now. You're just a dummy who eats whatever they put in front of you. The real tell is in where they place the blame. It isn't the consumer, it's the food manufacturers and restaurants.
You'll pry my taste buds from my cold, dead tongue, or something like that.
As far as salt goes, the newly suggested reductions are possible, but they won’t happen overnight. “We need time for product reformulations, and this also gives people time to change their taste for sodium,” she says. “The problem is not the salt shaker, it is the food manufacturers and restaurants."
Specifically, the newly proposed guidelines suggest reducing sodium intake from 2,300 milligrams to 1,500 milligrams per day and stress a vegetarian-style diet rich in vegetables, cooked dry beans and peas, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and seeds with only moderate amounts of lean meats, poultry, and eggs.
"We have had the same dietary recommendations for 30 years and every year, we update the science but our diets are the same,” says Margo G. Wootan, PhD, the nutrition policy director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a consumer group based in Washington, D.C.
Now “we look beyond wagging fingers and saying ‘eat more fruits and vegetables’ and look at barriers and call for a national strategy to help people follow the recommendations,” she says.
“We need a fundamental shift in the food environment,” she tells WebMD. “The majority of choices at restaurants are unhealthy, but it needs to be the opposite where the majority of choices are healthy and there are a couple of splurge options for special occasions,” she says.
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch