Did Palin Mislead With Fiorina Endorsement, Or Was She Misled?
Chuck DeVore has responded at RedState to Sarah Palin's endorsement of Carly Fiorina.
I like Sarah Palin. I think highly of her. But she got this dead wrong.
Unfortunately, there's a nagging question given Palin's endorsement that deserves an answer, though I won't be surprised if it doesn't get one. Palin wrote of Carly:
She grew up in a modest home with a school teacher dad….
Well, that's all down home and folksy enough. The problem is, it simply isn't true. It creates a problem of authenticity. At least, I believe it should. But the question is, for whom?
Fiorina was born as Cara Carleton Sneed in Austin, Texas, the daughter of Joseph Tyree Sneed III, a law school professor, dean, and federal judge, and Madelon Montross (née Juergens), a portrait and abstract artist.
That's not really school teacher dad-ish, in my opinion. It's terribly imprecise, at best. So, did Carly's people write the endorsement to try and capture some of Palin's down home cred, in essence misleading her? Or, does Palin believe she can simply confer it upon whomever she wishes when it suits? Or, did she simply not do her homework? I can't honestly say.
No doubt many of her fans might argue, well, professor, dean, judge, teacher Dad, what's the big deal? As a writer/blogger words mean things to me. And when people throw them around incorrectly, or carelessly, especially when trying to evoke a certain emotional response on an important matter, it gives me pause as to how much stock I can put in their words in the future.
As Palin has mainly relied upon her emotional appeal up to this point, I believe her authenticity matters, perhaps even more so than with some others. The fact is, neither Palin's use of Commonsense Conservative, nor school teacher dad are authentic as applied to Carly. So, even if I was willing to accept her Fiorina endorsement as a pragmatic, or perhaps prudent choice, it's lack of authenticity troubles me a great deal in terms of how I now view her.
As for DeVore, who, full disclosure, I previously interviewed and endorsed - again, you can read his response here.
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch