Failed Detonator Saved Northwestern Flight

December 27, 2009

This is what I was concerned about amid all the praise for the passenger's actions. They did the right and brave thing in some cases. Unfortunately, if the bomb had worked as intended, it might not have made any difference.

Maybe they should let passengers start screening flights and vote on who is going along?? Well, it's a thought. As for privacy, I imagine having my body and belongings blown out of the sky would put a real crimp in my privacy, too. Watch Obama turn this into alleged jobs and a chance to spend more money we don't have. Of course, he could back off on health care or some other entitlement. But he won't.

Bomb experts say there was more than enough explosive to bring down the Northwest jet, which had nearly 300 people aboard, had the detonator not failed, and the nation's outdated airport screening machines may need to be upgraded.

"We've known for a long time that this is possible," said Richard Clarke, former counterterrorism czar and ABC News consultant, "and that we really have to replace our scanning devices with more modern systems."

Clarke said full body scans were needed, "but they're expensive and they're intrusive. They invade people's privacy."

Al Qaeda, said Clarke, is aware of this vulnerability in the U.S. airport security system. "They know that this is a weakness and an Achilles' heel in our airport security system and this is the second time they've tried it."

Comments:
  1. It may be true that the nation’s screening machines need to be upgraded, but even if they had been it wouldn’t have made any difference in this case. He boarded that jet in Amsterdam, not in America.

2. Dan Riehl says:

And Amsterdam is supposed to be pretty good, I believe. I doubt good will ever be truly good enough.

3. John Jones says:

Wow, it’s doubtful that the failed detonator burned enough to put a hole in the wool over people’s eyes.

4. “And Amsterdam is supposed to be pretty good, I believe.”
    Well, yes and no. I think I read that he originally boarded a flight in Nigeria, and because he was already in transit, he didn’t have to go through security screening in Amsterdam when he changed planes. But I don’t know how much truth there is to that.

5. Anita says:

I remember that recently there were some leaks about airport screening procedures (classified) which was immediately buried by MSM. I suspect a connection with what happened with this recent attempt.

6. Jay Stevens says:

No, Steven.
    I work in Saudi Arabia. Two or three times a year, I fly through Amsterdam on KLM/NWA/and now Delta. They do special screening for U.S. bound flights. It doesn’t matter where the passengers start from. Everyone goes through the special screening.
    Of course, the special screening apparently wasn’t special enough.
    As a frequent flyer, we cannot deploy full body scanners soon enough. Anyone complaining about privacy issues can, as far as I am concerned, refuse to fly.

7. Second time they’ve tried this technology!? …and it won’t be the last, no doubt.
    “Homeland Security” was dubious bloat under Bush/Ridge. Under these fools, it’s become a contemptible joke.

8. Bleeting sheep says:

Everyone fly naked. That is the answer.

9. ThomasD says:

“Anyone complaining about privacy issues can, as far as I am concerned, refuse to fly.”
    I don’t disagree, but then again I also don’t disagree with serious profiling, anyone who doesn’t like that can also refuse to fly.

10. Lala says:

Janet Napolitano said the system worked.
    What system is she talking about?

11. gus says:

Obama is on the case. Not to worry. First he’s going to play golf, then he’ll have a party, then he’ll spend some more money.
    We’ve had several 3 am calls and the dumbfux in chief isn’t up to the challenge.
    He’s playing golf.

12. rrpjr says:

The answer is simple: follow the Israeli model. The Israelis are less interested in what a passenger brings on a plane than the passenger himself. But this requires “profiling” and probably could never be implemented in America, where authorities would rather make everybody’s life miserable than in exercising a certain diligent discrimination.

13. John Bibb says:

***
    I saw Primacord–contains the same PETN explosive–used long ago when I was in the Army. EOD / demolition experts cut no longer needed power poles in half and cut reinforced concrete blast walls off at ground level with this explosive. It was very impressive–a little bit went a very long way.
    ***
    This was not an attempted terrorist attack–it was an attack that failed due to some technical problem with the bomb. If it had detonated properly it would have been too late to “take down the Jihadi” and save the airliner.
    ***
    I think God gave us a Christmas present this day.
    ***
    Rocketman
    ***

14. Anon says:

That’s the way they do it in Amsterdam, though, they question EVERYONE individually at the gate before they get on the plane and they also, at least in my experience, check a lot more individual bags than in the U.S.
    I think its utterly stupid to suggest that in order to fly safely I have to surrender further rights and dignity because apparently airport security personnel AROUND THE WORLD are unable to find explosives. Possibly, they are unable to find explosives becuase they spend all their time confiscating shampoo and nail clippers and hassling old people in wheelchairs.
    The answer is not more mindless security that strips everyone of their rights and dignity but BETTER security that actually, ya know, identifies potential threats and neutralizes them.

15. Jeff says:

This is really serious matter for Nigeria. Nigeria economy is emerging and business from other countries are taking interest in the products of Nigeria, such things can also disturb number of flights to Nigeria.