Byron York Stops Short Of Saying Anything
Came upon this item by Byron York via an item by Susananne at Redstate. She thinks York didn't go far enough in some of his criticisms. Byron has done some terrific reporting work at the Examiner since joining them. I almost always give it a good look.
But other than some scolding for what has long been known and already widely discussed, I'm not sure York's item says much at all. Net net, the GOP has to find a way to bond with the base and the American people as a whole. They shouldn't think they're going to win any election prizes simply for not being Democrats.
Byron York’s article in the Washington Examiner highlights Republican shortcomings in recent years causing the shift to a Democrat-controlled Congress. While I agree with some of his points, I think York needs to go further with a few critical elements.
At the same time, big picture, it isn't unusual for political cycles to play out over time. I've posted previously on how I believe the pace of those is likely to continue to speed up due to a more sophisticated information flow. When all is said and done, after the GOP's years in DC, with less than a stellar performance, the people felt it was time for a change.
Obama is going to at least pretend to jog to the center to prevent it from happening, again. GOP wins in 2010 are going to hinge on how successful they are with some of the items Susananne outlines. And how good the Democrats, now led by Obama, are at pretending they're suddenly moderates, again. It would be a mistake for the GOP to try and play that game. But they almost always do. Everything we've seen so far from the NRSC and NRCC suggests they're at it, again. That will make 2010 more competitive and less successful for the GOP than it should be.
To the extent that the people, especially conservatives, get involved and disintermediate with grassroots activism and the Internet, the better off America, the GOP and we all will be.
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch