Obama Orders Fox From Chicken House Pool

October 22, 2009

This weak administration is now certifiably insane. For the first time in my life I'm actually uncomfortable knowing that this guy has control of our military and Federal police forces. If he thinks he can simply shut down a member of the press on a whim, how long before he goes full Chavez?

Other media outlets rallied around Fox News so it didn't play. And I would certainly hope the editorial pages around the country mirror that sentiment this weekend, though I'm not sure we can even trust them. Still, no matter what, I can't see this playing with the American people at all. This guy's approval ratings are already terrible. Don't be surprised if they go down the tubes after this outrageous conduct.

Coming to you via the Chicken House feed. Pathetic. And dangerous, this is. Geez!

Today the White House stepped up its attack on Fox News, announcing that the network would no longer be able to conduct interviews with officials as a member of the Press Pool. The Pool is a five-member group consisting of ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox News and NBC organized by the White House Correspondents Association. Its membership is not subject to oversight by the government.

Before an interview with "Pay Czar" Kenneth Feinberg, the administration announced that Fox News would be banned from the press pool. This marks the first time in history that an administration had attempted to ban an entire network from the press pool.

Comments:
  1. WAHOO WILLIE says:

Perhaps this should’ve been added as background music:

2. unseen says:

Oh GOD We elected Chevez

3. unseen says:

I don’t know about the hardball host but this is not sending a thrill up my leg it is sending a chill down my spine.

4. Karl says:

And people called me “extreme” and “stupid” for selling my Commie Obama hats….
    From now on, all criticism will be handled like an MRI – stand in line and wait your turn!

5. Lala says:

Toldja. I spotted this guy’s politics at the beginning.

6. Hey, La… you were right.
    Thanks Dan. This one is worth digging. That damnable “pitchforks” threat marked a new low in the American Presidency: However, I criticized the Banks for failure of testicles on that.
    The good news would seem to be that the other networks stood ground. I think they understand that their economic futures rest on their remaining credibility in their WH relationship. If it’s true – if they did stand ground – this is a very large failure of control for the President and his media team. Frightening all the same.

7. Mainstream media revolts against WH for war on Fox News

Tapper set the standard, and the rest are now following suit. Director Blue writes (via Dan Riehl):

8. Xiaoidng says:

Ha! Give O a little credit, he’s only doing what you guys have wanted to do for decades! Imagine the cheering, if the Bush’s had told ABCCBSNBCCNN to shove it, no more white house access, or interviews. It would have melted the web!
    Still, this is a HUGE misstep by Obama, Mr. openess in government. And it leaves him open to charges of cowardice. Too bad he has no opposition.

9. unseen says:

Xiaoidng
    bush didn’t and never thought about doing this. Obama did it within the first 9 months of his term. Stop projecting your fears about Bush. your fears of Bush were and are unfounded while the fear of Obama is proven and in your face.

10. MDr says:

Hmmmm. I read two articles earlier in the week and thought they were just playing on hysteria. One was on Oathers, and the other was about the unprecedented number of threats against Barry. An older one about ammunition manufacturers unable to keep up w/ demand – folks afraid BO woukd ban all weapons and ammo. Guess I’ll need to be a little less cynical next time.

11. Xerocky says:

So…scared yet?
    “To their credit, the other networks objected. They told the White House that if Fox were banned, none of the other networks would participate. The White House relented, but in an apparent act of petulant retaliation, it restricted each network to a two-minute interview instead of the standard five.”
    I wasn’t referring to Obama’s stance toward Fox, I’m scared that the other networks objected! It’s a sure sign of the end if you ask me.
    How weirdly childish Obama is, punishing all of them by restricting their time…
    Mind you, he only started this war AFTER Van Jones and ACORN. He was pretty silent about Fox 2 months ago.

12. Joe says:

This is really bad form. And the cowards at CNN, CBS, ABC, MSNBC and NBC should be screaming bloody hell. The only one with integrity is Jake Tapper. Shame on them.

13. Linked you, Dan. I think this is a significant moment. Your discomfort is rational. However, the push-back by the very Press that made this humunculus is the real story.
    Nice catch. Cheers!

14. FoxFan says:

Video of Brett Baier explaining what happened at the White House today…

15. John says:

Since Obama already has set up bloggers for far left websites to be regular questioners at news conferences, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that the White House will actually double down against the non-Fox Networks and any newspapers editorializing against their attacks on Fox and start attempting to elevate folks representing sites like the Huffington Post or Media Matters into reporters on the same level as the others by giving them (or pro-Fox censorship pundits from regular news sites) preferred or even exclusive access to Obama for a while, as a way to herd ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN and the print publications back into line.

16. x11b1p says:

who are the fascists? i’m sorry i can’t hear you? can you speak up?

17. Allen G says:

Okay… now can we talk impeachment? I’m pretty sure attempting to ban a media outlet from covering the WH is infringing on some 1st amendment rights. Isn’t the Prez supposed to Protect and Serve the Constitution? I don’t have my pocket Constitution in front of me, but I’m pretty sure words to that affect are in the oath.
    I’m not normally keen on impeachment talk (I thought it was dumb to impeach Clinton, for instance, even if technically justified), but Congress needs to nip this firmly in the bud.

18. x11b1p says:

allen g – uh, the day i have to pick up a pile of skittles shit from a real unicorn that hangs out on my property is the day i also expect to turn on fox news and hear shep smith say with glee while blowing a kazoo that obama has just been impeached. aint gonna happen with this congress – sorry. yet, i could be wrong, so i will set a unicorn trap – just in case ;-)

19. PA says:

“Isn’t the Prez supposed to Protect and Serve the Constitution?”
    He is, it just isn’t our constitution…its the USSR’s.

20. templar knight says:

I’m sure the drive-by troll known as Bob will be here shortly to defend Obama, and condemn us for not discussing health care, education, energy, etc., as if Obama’s effort to shut out a news organization is not an issue. I can just imagine the troll’s reaction had Bush done the same thing. Only a Chavez-like wannabe dictator such as Obama and his supporters like Bob would even contemplate such a thing.

21. Estragon says:

It was inevitable with the Left in control of both Houses of Congress and the Executive, and one vote away from absolute control of the Supreme Court as well.
    You see, like with the crimes you might commit, speech depends on what’s behind it. If you commit a crime for the right reasons, you get the regular penalty but, if you were thinking bad thoughts when you did it, it’s a “hate crime” and you get extra time or fines. With speech, it’s the same way: there is Goodthink and Badthink. Goodthink is helping disseminate the White House propaganda to the masses; Badthink is asking too many unhelpful questions. Dealing with difficult concepts like Truth, Justice, and the Constitution are beyond our comprehension, so it is Badthink when we fail to leave these heavy questions to the properly designated authorities.
    Can Obama help it that Fox News and conservatives generally fall into Badthink? Don’t worry, though – most of us will qualify for rehabilitation through Reeducation Retreats where we can learn to be productive members of a progressive society. The likes of Limbaugh and Beck, of course, will be headed to the Gulag, but in a few short years of purifying labor, they will be only a fading memory to us.
    As soon as the rest of us learn to love Big Bro, we can return to the fold and help build the New Man, one worthy of serving the Great State.

22. ET says:

I have many liberal/progressive friends and coworkers. I have been respectful of our differences since Obama’s election. But I recently reached my limit…I told a liberal business partner of mine, “if you still support Obama you are, frankly, stupid. I no longer respect your intelligence if you cannot see this guy for the creep that he is.”
    Probably not a smart career move to call one of your partners stupid, but it is crystal clear to me. You have to be an idiot to think that the election of Barry was a good thing. He is worse that our most dire predictions…
    The good news is that the American people, with the help of new media, are on to this brazen ruse. 2010 will produce gains for republicans and Barry will be on the speaking circuit in 2013…

23. geoffb says:

OT:
    I keep getting an error page when trying to go to “The Other McCain”. Is this happening to others?
    “We’re sorry, but we were unable to complete your request.
    When reporting this error to Blogger Support or on the Blogger Help Group, please:
    * Describe what you were doing when you got this error.
    * Provide the following error code and additional information.
    bX-59cppw
    Additional information
    host: rsmccain.blogspot.com
    uri: /”

24. All blogspot/blogger seems to be down, including the “help” Url’s…

25. geoffb says:

Thank you.

26. Terrye says:

I never did see any charm in this man, none at all. I always saw an arrogant little man with a chip on his shoulder. I just hope the GOP does not implode in the coming months because someone needs to get in front of this administration. The idea that Barack Obama and Nancy Pelosi are in control of the federal government scares me.

27. x11b1p says:

templar knight – my thoughts exactly, however, how does anyone who subscribes to democracy defend this action with anything other than : this site sucks, you guys are losers, this site is a hate site, dan sucks and is full of hate, all wingnuts are stupid, if bush did this you guys would not be upset (forgetting that bush never did it), and the general catch all-you wingers are just upset that obama won.

28. Philip McDaniel says:

‘Two steps forward and one back’ was one of the precepts of the old Communist Party.
    We are living in a time of clear and present danger, and it will be up to us to do something about it.

29. xerocky says:

Here it is, a day later and stil no Bob. They seem slowing in dishing out the talking points today.

30. David R. Graham says:

Approval ratings approval schmatings! “We don’t need no stinking [approval ratings].” We have all the power we need to keep from losing elections, much less power, capiche? “Give in!” (Lola, Damn Yankees)
    Or, to pursue the metaphor via the Poet General Masaharu Homma to the Battling Bastards of Baatan, “It is resistless.”
    Seriously, does anyone really suppose there will be US elections worthy of the word in 2010, much less later? Or in-dependent network news organizations?

31. charles says:

my kids 3 rd grade class is more mature then the white house O TEAM.

32. meatbrain says:

Dan Riehl is lying to his readers. Fox was not excluded from the press pool interview of Feinberg, and in fact Fox fabricated the claim.
    Will Dan Riehl do the right thing and apologize to his readers?

33. Oops, turns out Riehl wasn’t lying, and even the New York Times corroborated it.
    So get bent, meatbrain.

34. meatbrain says:

Did they? Cite the actual story, Dallas.

35. Bob2 says:

“I’m sure the drive-by troll known as Bob will be here shortly to defend Obama”
    WTF! There’s someone here named “Bob” who defends Obambi, President Pantywaist, the Commander and Thief and his NeoComs? Sacrilege! Treason! Conduct unbecoming a “Bob”! He will be forthwith expelled from the Bob Club (http://www.thebobclub.com/) and deported to Venezuela.
    Guess I’ll have to start checking in here to maintain the reputation of the “Bobs” for clear thinkiing and logical thought.
    BTY, it’s true about the ammunition (and gun) shortage — Obama has been named “Firearm Salesman of the Year” by the NRA. http://patricelewis.blogspot.com/2009/04/firearms-salesman-of-year.html