Newt In 2012: Yeah, But Which Party, Dude?
I'd never want to underestimate Newt's brain power as an idea man, capable analyst and even strategist, to some degree – but this? And coming right on the heels of his alienating the base over NY – 23? Dayum. What is he thinking?
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) will consider whether to run for president following midterm elections in 2010, he said this weekend.
Gingrich, who has long been one of the Republican Party's leading developers of new policy, praised what he said looks to be a strong field of emerging candidates, but he said he will still consider whether he needs to run to fill a void within the party.
One thing, though – I still remember Sarah Palin referencing Newt and his ideas about getting beyond party to some degree. Funny that she chose one side in NY and he the other.
For a minute I was almost wondering if there wasn't a game afoot – Gingrich/Palin in 2012? Or, the reverse? But I can't see that happening. Unless someone got the nomination and picked Newt for VP, there's no way I see him as viable. I don't think he'd make it through a Republican Primary given some of his stances over the years.
Then there's the baggage issue, which is an entirely different deal. He might be able to take a shot at a Senate seat. But there's no way I see him as a serious player in 2012. Just too much history and way too much of an insider, now.
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch