Gun Amendment Impacts DC Voting Debate
Interesting. One amendment said to have some support to a bill that would give DC a seat in the House would repeal DC's stringent gun-control laws. Ensign of Nevada claims to have introduced the amendment due to the district's tendency to enact "onerous" and "unconstitutional" anti-gun regulations. He produced a chart displaying how DC's tough gun laws have done nothing to reduce violent crime over the years. Coming as it does while the national debate is heating up suggests we're in a shooting war now over the immediate future of changes to gun regulation in America.
… a blitz of amendments in the Senate, including one to repeal the city's gun-control laws that appeared to have significant support.
"Clearly, today, there's been an orgy of amendments offered to the D.C. House Voting Rights Act, partially in an effort to derail the bill, but also people are using it as an opportunity to put their pet issue" on the Senate floor, said Ilir Zherka, executive director of DC Vote, an advocacy group.
He said the gun amendment "could be a big problem here."
That amendment closely resembles a bill passed by the House but not the Senate last year. It alarmed D.C. officials by calling for the removal of almost all locally imposed gun-control rules.
Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) said he was introducing the amendment because the D.C. Council "has continued to enact onerous and unconstitutional firearms regulations" despite the Supreme Court decision last year overturning the city's ban on handguns.
He produced a large chart on the Senate floor that showed the city's murder rate over the years.
"Can you honestly tell me that gun control in D.C. has been effective?" Ensign asked.
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch