Two Blue To Be True
You play the hand that’s dealt you in politics, conservative’s Ace in the hole is not McCain, nor Huckabee – and may, or may not end up being Romney. What it is, is our principles, I urge you to not fold them now.
One cannot one day be pointing out how bad an individual has been, and is for conservatism in America, then turn on a dime to suggest the GOP is more important than our principles. Not if one wants to retain their credibility and integrity. It’s a ploy that may work to a very limited extent. But said individual then becomes part of the problem, not the cure. Do you stand up for principle, or for a party because it’s the only game in town? That is not retaining power. It is giving yours away.
After reviewing all the numbers, clearly McCain is the presumptive nominee without some jarring event. I imagine he’ll shamelessly take Huckabee as the VP to help him with the southern base. Unless Huckabee doesn’t want it, McCain will be hard pressed to refuse. He thinks he can win the presidency as a watered down Republican. That tactic has never worked. For now, we may effectively have two Blue parties in America, no matter what these men do or say. I stress, for now. And the stronger of the two, the Democrat Party, is sure to win in November. It’s their playing field, after all. Any great, imagined center doesn’t vote – they go to the Mall.
The chattering class will now launch their Save the GOP campaigns – see Hugh Hewitt. I understand and respect it, but it is not to be. The grass roots doesn’t take its marching orders from Right-side pundits. Independent registrations are growing, both parties numbers have been struggling. Many that would normally support the GOP simply won’t show up. I’ve been hearing that from plenty of people who are not bloggers, and such. They’re fed up and this would be the final straw.
While acknowledging there is an election in November, serious conservatives would be better served positioning the movement to jump back in the battle after November, so that we can help to elect more conservative members to the legislature – and of course vote the under card this Fall. I could never pull the lever for a top ticket containing the name McCain, or Huckabee, should they prevail.
After the coming debacle, the GOP will need substance, strength and leadership. If conservatives are smart, we’d be wise to avoid the bickering this year and be prepared to provide it going into 2010.
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch