Overkill On Michelle Obama?

February 20, 2008

I suspect there’s enough to not like about the Obama’s personal brand of politics. But creepy in this sense? I don’t think Lincoln was thinking term limits when he invoked the better angels or our nature, nor did Kennedy intone: ask what you can do for your country, for a limited time only. It’s high-minded political rhetoric, sure. But maybe it’s simply our not being accustomed to hearing it these days that makes it sound creepy to some? The cynic in me rejects it for all practical purposes. But that doesn’t make it "creepy."

I’m sorry, nowhere in the Constitution does it authorize the President of the United States to demand anyone shed their cynicism. And I’m all for people pushing themselves to be better, but I don’t think the President demanding it is the way to go about it.

Comments:
  1. Paul Atreides says:

This is the party that says that Republicans have some sort of obsession with Ronald Reagan?
    I have three words for the Dims:
    1. Kennedy
    2. Clinton
    3. Obama
    As usual, the names that liberals call everyone who disagree with them embody their very own characteristics.

2. IreneFingIrene says:

You really have to watch the speech.
    It wasn’t a high minded, uplifting, hopeful, we’re all in this shit together type tone.. It was very much a talking down to you dumbass, slack-jawed yokels.. this is the way things are going to be a type of speech…
    ..uh.. at least that’s what it sounded like to me. I was playing BF2142 while she was yapping away.

3. chris says:

I see that the Grand OLD Party prefers silent, medicated highway-killers like Laura. Now go listen to your Tammy Wynette and make dinner for your nascar-watching husbands. They worked hard today just to keep up with inflation.

4. Dan Riehl says:

watch the speech
    I’ll pass, thanks. Besides, she isn’t running for anything. As Dick Morris recently pointed out, attacking Hillary did nothing to damage Bill when he was the guy out front. Attacking of spouses just doesn’t have any real impact. Look at the idiot lefties who go on here about Laura Bush. I’d suggest people keep their eye on the ball and take Obama down as the self-annointed and selfish far left-wing, light-weight, yap fest he actually is.

5. Michelle Obama is a strong minded woman who is self confident in her views. Do you rally think this woman thinks outside the box and says things that are not within the thought process of her husband?
    What she said was derogatory of this country and it was said with a deep bitterness that oozes. To quote JFK as if he said anything with a deep sincerity is a joke.

6. Roy Mustang says:

Obama doesn’t salute our flag. And he thinks anyone wearing the American flag pin is a fake patriot. His wife is on record stating that her husband can be killed anytime just because he is black.
    And now his wife has come and stated that she hasn’t been proud of America her entire adult life.
    You can draw your own conclusions from these facts.

7. Dan Riehl says:

I’m not suggesting she isn’t a liberal elitist twit. But unless or until you hear those words from Obama, it doesn’t make a lick of difference in this election. These people were born and bred on identity politics – see his Church. Suddenly their worldview is surprising somehow? What have you need watching? Matthews with a mancrush on the Big zero 0bama?

8. BobInStamford says:

8 years of a stammering imbecile and the cons call other people light-weights!! Classic. Now get back to winning your wars and saluting the flag. Remember, yellow ribbon magnets and lapel pins show that you CARE. Semper Fi!!!

9. Paul Atreides says:

8 years of a stammering imbecile and the cons call other people light-weights!!
    Yes, we all need a leader who can debate the nuances of the word “is” and turns into a red-faced pit-viper when anyone dares to suggest that he is less than perfect.
    ——————————————-
    Now get back to winning your wars and saluting the flag.
    We will, without any help from you, seeing as you will be too busy hoping for our defeat as you salute your Che flag.
    ——————————————-
    Remember, yellow ribbon magnets and lapel pins show that you CARE.
    As opposed to wearing little ribbons for every pet cause under the sun, blathering about how you CARE for the homeless, carbon offsets, etc.

10. Wahoo Willie Sez: says:

“blathering about how you CARE for the homeless, carbon offsets, etc.”
    C’mon Paul be fair. They MUST blather because the thought of manual labor upsets them. Why do you think they want as many illegals here as possible?

11. Paul Atreides says:

Why do you think they want as many illegals here as possible?
    ————————————
    So true. We rabble just do not know our place, do we? Good serfdom is hard to find, these days.

12. And I’m all for people pushing themselves to be better, but I don’t think the President demanding it is the way to go about it.
    I see. And the RIGHT way to go about it is…?
    There’s the problem. The mouth moves, noise is made – and nothing happens. Just another asshole pundit taking up space. Obama (or any candidate) doesn’t have the luxury of sitting back and sniping. At least, not if (s)he cares to ACTUALLY ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING.
    I’m with Dan on this.