Whoa! Knox County Teacher Melinda England Update

October 8, 2007

After looking at the images of a Knox County teacher, you’ll probably agree there isn’t really a whole heck of a lot to see, though, okay, maybe dumb posting them for an elementary school teacher.

But while they’re nosing around, could the school system also get around to looking at claims that she’s been "kicked, hit, scratched, bitten" and who knows what else in the classroom? If true, that would seem to be the more important issue here.

Comments:
  1. http://instapundit.com/archives2/010305.php

“PARTIALLY NUDE PICTURES OF TEACHER” turns out to mean entirely non-nude pictures of teacher: “One photograph shows England shirtless, her left hand covering her right breast and her left breast is in the crook of her left elbow. Another picture…

2. Don Surber says:

Good post. Guess it is easier to be sidelined by “racy” pictures than address the issues. Still, I question her claims of being “kicked, hit, scratched, bitten.” Sounds like someone is not happy that she teaches school.

3. BobInStamford says:

Tennessee has schools? Who knew!

4. Lala says:

I have a relative who teaches in a New York City public school. She was knocked over on purpose in the schoolyard by an 8 year old. She hurt her back so badly when she fell that she reported the incident to the police, who didn’t want to take the report. I was with her at the precinct, I know the truth.
    A year later a 10 year old sprayed her in the eyes with a cleaning agent. She was not permitted to call 911 for an ambulance (this rule has been under fire recently) and she was reprimanded by the principal for having the cleaning agent in her classroom.
    These are just two stories. There are many more.

5. woof says:

Yep, I agree. Our poor kids being educated in a violent environment with no control. Why wouldn’t a teacher’s union be interested in protecting the poor teachers? What a mess!

6. seekeronos says:

Or if guns are simply not an option, then a good old fashioned hickory paddle. One with holes to help maximize airflow and velocity.
    And how come we don’t paddle kids in school who get out of line? I’ll never forget the whoopin’ I got for sassing my third grade teacher, and then the whoopin’ I got from my dad when I got home.

7. TheSpartan says:

This woman should not be teaching kids, she’s not ready for it. Fair or not, teachers are held to a higher standard of behavior than most other professions because of their proximity to children. While what she does in her private life is her business the second she posts it on the internet it’s no longer private.

8. Wahoo Willie Sez says:

“Tennessee has schools? Who knew!”
    Why yes they do and Knoxville is about three times the size of that little burg you live in.

9. seekeronos says:

“— As for some of the other comments…yikes…teachers with guns? Corporal punishment in the classroom? Did you guys study pedagogy from Dick Cheney? —”
    Nah. More like the Bible, the Book of Proverbs, and proven application of paddles to the hind ends of rebellious children to correct them from their foolishness.
    “He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.” {Proverbs 13:24, KJV)
    “Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.” (Proverbs 19:18, KJV)
    “Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.” (Proverbs 22:15, KJV)
    Of course, that is predicated on the judicious use of discipline, the exercise of restraint in administering discipline — not thrashing children for the fun of it, but rather, when the situation merits it.
    As for the CCW or open carry guns — that is more to prevent future Columbine or other school shootings. Of course, it might also go along way toward keeping the kids in the classroom in their proper place as well.

10. LOL says:

“Teachers should be allowed to have a CCW (concealed carry weapon) license. Or perhaps open carry.”
    Really? So these hitting, scratching and other acting up situations can possibly turn into situations where someone can die? That’s freaking winger logic right there, amazing

11. LOL says:

I mean this is just an amazing contradiction even if one believed in all the winger commandments. Someone in the scripture is the fact that schools in the USA are controlled by some kind of incompetent but socialistic teachers’ union. And now you want to hand these teachers, whom you constantly berate for their incompetence a weapons. And you want to do it when most of them have little training or background in firearms. I guess you’re willing to pay more taxes for their training? Or doesn’t the Book of Reagan 32.10 say something against that? Hmm…
    It’s atonishing how out of touch with reality you guys are. Most schools where student violence is an issue already have trained and armed security guards. Freaking amazing, just like this 12 year old SCHIP thing, I can’t go 5 minutes reading a winger website without watching you guys take a crap in the bed.

12. hobo says:

Looks like her left nipple is showing, though. Not a bad rack, however. Anyone got her address? I’d sure like to send her a card.
    I was on the beach at Ocean Beach, CA, last week,one of my regular hangouts and this chick walks past me covering her very nicely shaped breasts with her arms and wearing a wet suit from the waist down. Not uncommon that women don’t wear anythng under their wetsuit, but this one hadn’t gotten that far. Good looking gal and great shape! After surveying the surf for a few moments, she goes back to her friends at the parking lot, finishes dressing and goes surfing. Life is good.

13. Retread says:

Maybe she’s getting in trouble over the rather tame pix because of the statement about being kicked, hit, etc.

14. jj says:

LOL, you’re a freaking idiot. One person says something, and in your “mind”, then all conservatives must be for it. Jesus, man, you’re guilty of winger logic, as you call it, yourself. Dumb ass.

15. Ragin' Dave says:

I’ve seen racier pictures in magazine racks at the grocery store. Hell, I’ve seen racier photos ON THE COVERS of those magazines.

16. Lala says:

jj
    you are so right. I know lots of Republicans and Conservatives and they rarely agree on social issues.
    Some are anti-abortion, some are pro.
    Some are pro-death penalty, some are anti.
    Some are anti-gay, some ARE gay.
    And so on.
    But when I meet a Liberal I don’t even have to ask where they stand because I already know that they all “feel” the same way about everything.

17. seekeronos says:

“—
    —”
    Nope. For one, while I wouldn’t mind firing half or more of these lunkheaded “teachers”, what really needs to be enforced from day one is class room discipline.
    Bring back the paddles and switches for kids that haven’t learned how to check their sassy mouths, much less actually biting/scratching/beating up teachers and staff.
    A good old hickory rule(r) for rapping knuckles – say what you want about the Catholic Church, but old Sister Mary Margerethe could cow any bully boy into submission with a firm twist to the lower earlobes and hard thwack of hickory connecting to his knuckles. And for *really* hard cases, she’d keep a set of brass knuckles stashed in her robes. Sister Mary took no guff from any would-be plucky students.
    As for arming teachers — that may not be necessary for larger schools with a budget for armed security guards (although training and CCWs for handguns like a .357 or a .45 should be optional for teachers wishing to have additional ability to prevent future Columbines, or Beslans, should the security guard be on a donut break in the cafeteria when the excrement hits the cooling unit).
    Smaller schools without the budget for a employing a standing counter-terrorism unit or armed security squadron might have to take it upon themselves to secure their own firearms and CCWs or open carry permits, as well as getting safety training during summer break on their own dime.
    A decent weapon – like a Glock 20 (10mm) or a 22 (.40) can be had for between $600 – $1,000 USD. Ammo costs may vary, especially depending upon how much time you can (or want to) put in at the range.
    It really is the civic minded thing to do.

18. seekeronos says:

* and weapons can be had for much cheaper for used modesl as well.

19. Wahoo Willie Sez says:

Seeker; You’ve lost your mind. Take a day off and go find it.

20. seekeronos says:

Though I my intention was to have come off with a satirical bent here – I’m actually quite serious, in terms of enforcing class room discipline. I guess I’d have to pass on the CCWs, since as LOL points out, most larger school districts have a security guard platoon or two – although to judge by what I’ve seen at some schools, they’d be more suited to tracking down miscreant pastries in the cafeteria.
    The only thing that is wrong with my idea – the gigantic hole in the side of the submarine, so to speak – is the fact that after several generations of Doctor Spock (the child psychologist, not the space alien) and an overall liberalization/socialization of the K-12 educational marketplace is that most teachers wouldn’t dirty their pretty hands with a firearm, and school districts are scared witless of having to (legal liability) responsibility of re-introducing corporal punishment.
    I’ll accept that my whole idea will never fly, but we should also acknowledge that there is something fundamentally wrong with our system, where kids think that they can manipulate, abuse, and sass their teachers back.
    Something is fundamentally wrong, where the teachers themselves are “legally” reduced to being babysitters who pass kids who can do no better than to fail the Marxist drivel that passes for so much “education” these days, where in fact, the teachers are barely more intelligent or knowledgeable than the failures they have in their classrooms.
    Can “Miss Kitty” flash her boobs on Youtube and MySpace? She sure can, there is nothing to stop her (but the school board). This woman is barely out of her teens herself (mentally)… and if this is the sort of educator we have as a typical example, then it is no wonder we are falling behind third and fourth rate nations in so many areas.
    This modern day education of “if it feels good, it must be right”, moral relativism, and the “do what ya like, you’ll probably get away with it…” attitude is an insult and a curse upon our own heads, the root behind the rash of “Pop Tarts”, prosti-tot clothing for our children being sold hand over fist into the slavery and bondage of sexual sin, kids who spit in the eyes of authority, just as their own punk parents did in the 1980s and 90s, and just as their hippie grandparents spat at authority in the days Woodstock.
    With no fear of God in their eyes, wickedness abounds in a nation, and brings the vengeance of an almighty and angry God upon it.
    This is what is destroying our nation: our disobedience to our Heavenly Father, by refusing to teach our own children discipline from the start. And how can we, when our own generations are so distant from the truth, and from the Word of God?
    Even a heathen, godless nation such as Red China has us put to shame, where a smart-mouthed student can expect to get his back side beaten with a bamboo reed.

21. Wahoo Willie Sez says:

You can’t go disciplining these kids dude. Put one in a corner and the alphabet soup people will be all over you. Could make them write sentences but you would have to teach them to spell first. Thanks libs, you’ve done a fine job the last fifty years.

22. TheSpartan says:

I teach in a prep school, conservative parents spend as much time and effort forgiving their children’s sins as do liberal ones. They don’t want us to discipline THEIR kids, but they want us to control the classroom. Stay out of the way, let us do it and let us expell the ones that need to be expelled.

23. seekeronos says:

Forgiveness is a great thing – especially if it is accompanied by repentance.
    But the short of it is:
    What happens when we fail to discipline our children – harshly, if the situation merits?
    We get kids who learn that they can easily rebel and spit at authority… and get away with it. I remember my own youth, a junior high-school acquaintance of mine – where I’d go over to his house, and he’d tell his mother to “shut the f*** up, you lousy b*tch!”… my jaw dropped!!
    If I ever talked like that to my (non-Christian) mother or father, I’d very well get beaten good!!
    I believe that spankings should not be handed out capriciously, but parents must be free to reserve them for grave transgressions. Such as lying, cheating, or stealing. If my son lies to me, he will know that he has a spanking coming.
    It’s not a beat-down ala “Mommy Dearest”, but it will be a sharp enough whack or two to the heiney to let him know that lying will not tolerated under my roof. And though he may not care for it, afterwards, he will know that he did wrong, and will repent from it.
    And sass-mouth? I think my boy might have a rare occasion of it when he gets to his teen years, but for now, he loves and respects his mama and papa. And that is right.
    What is also missing is a contract – a trust between teachers and faculty that will allow for certain instances where corporal punishment may be administered, with certain agreed upon levels of restraint.

24. jason t says:

the reason the kids are out of control? a lot of you have came to the same conclusion i have. i remember when i was a child and did something wrong, i always remembered what was going to happen the next time if i did it again. but the good ol goverment stepped in and said we cant spank or paddle our children, but we can give them a time out. yep, that system works out real well. just the other day the news was saying how over crowded the jails were…..too many people on time out

25. zak822 says:

jj said “One person says something, and in your “mind”, then all conservatives must be for it.”
    Have many conservatives dissented from the views under discussion? Out in the open, where the rest of us can hear their dissent?
    Seldom, seldom, does this happen. But so many of you whine when all conservatives get lumped together.
    The Spartan said “I teach in a prep school, conservative parents spend as much time and effort forgiving their children’s sins as do liberal ones. They don’t want us to discipline THEIR kids, but they want us to control the classroom.”
    I’m overjoyed to have someone finally say this. Thanks.