Craig: From Foot Tap To Phone Tap?
Update: Allah thinks the audio was leaked by Martin to help Craig. Maybe it didn’t even come through Martin’s office, but through Craig’s people. Look at this below from Craig’s resignation presser and what’s missing from the audio’s header? The date. Hmm.
I apologize for being unable to serve out a term to which I have been elected…I hope you do not regret the confidence you have placed in me all these years…”
Not sure I’m buying this. Minutes before Idaho Senator Larry Craig left for his I intend to resign presser he calls his attorney Billy Martin and leaves a message. Only it’s a wrong number to a stranger’s phone. Said stranger then shops it to the Idaho Statesman for a price and upon being turned down shops it to Roll Call who manages to get the message without paying up? A spokesperson for Craig confirmed the voice match.
Enter DailyKos with the transcript – also below. If that message was on a machine or phone linked to Billy Martin, we’re talking privileged communication being leaked for political effect. This torpedoes Craig’s reconsideration of resignation move by betraying him as a calculating creep from the jump aided by Specter’s later statement.
Is this another case of Craig’s fingers taking a misstep while dialing, just as they did when they slid across the bottom of a bathroom stall, or are Republicans so pissed that someone got to Martin or someone in his office to take Craig out? This smells almost as bad as will the Congressional investigation likely to come.
"Yes, Billy, this is Larry Craig calling. You can reach me on my cell. Arlen Specter is now willing to come out in my defense, arguing that it appears by all that he knows that I have been railroaded and all that.
"Having all of that, we have reshaped my statement a little bit to say it is my intent to resign on Sept. 30. I think it is important for you to make as bold a statement as you are comfortable with this afternoon, and I would hope you could make it in front of the cameras.
"I think it would help drive the story that I’m willing to fight, that I’ve got quality people out there fighting in my defense, and that this thing could take a new turn or a new shape, it has that potential. Anyway, give me a buzz or give Mike a buzz on that. We’re headed to my press conference now.
"Thank you. Bye."
More RiehlWorldView News
- Several Influential Conservatives Favor Comcast Merger
- Why Did Dylan Byers Discreetly Change His Mike Rogers Cumulus Story?
- Cue the Outrage Mongers: AmSpec – Michelle Malkin Is Wrong
- Why Romney’s Attack On Obama Is Misguided
- Dateline 4/11/2007: Why Chris Hayes was “quietly crying” into his sweater
- Ukraine Calls Up 40,000 Reservists
- US Navy SEALs Take Oil Tanker From Libyan Rebels
- PA Teacher Emily Nesbit, 31, ‘performed sex act on student, 18, in classroom, ‘sent partially nude photos’
- AFP: Ukraine reports Russian ‘invasion’ on eve of Crimea ‘breakaway’ vote
- Iowa Dad Stan Syring, 37 Busted For Craigslist Offer to Suck the Chrome Off A Trailer Hitch