Democrats: From Class To Trash

February 26, 2007

The class of Joe Lieberman

In fact, halting the current security operation at midpoint, as virtually all of the congressional proposals seek to do, would have devastating consequences. It would put thousands of American troops already deployed in the heart of Baghdad in even greater danger–forced to choose between trying to hold their position without the required reinforcements or, more likely, abandoning them outright. A precipitous pullout would leave a gaping security vacuum in its wake, which terrorists, insurgents, militias and Iran would rush to fill–probably resulting in a spiral of ethnic cleansing and slaughter on a scale as yet unseen in Iraq.

versus The trash of Al Gore.

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk to walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

Comments:
  1. BobInStamford says:

2. seekeronos says:

“Where should he live, in a trailer with the rest of the WT??? Log Cabin idiots like you and Drudge are the trash.”
    What do ye say, Elitist Bob? Us proletarians aren’t smart enough like you elitist “socialist” wannabes… so we can’t have nice houses?
    Man, you logic is so backwards.
    Because your lot are the first to jump down our throats for driving big SUVs or having big houses.
    So make up your mind already – are you for or against conspicuous use of energy?
    Do Liberal in fact preach conservation for us poor, stupid, mouth-breathing, proletarians… while the smart “librul eleets” get to live off the backs of the masses?
    Once again, you liberals show yourselves to be the hypocrite.
    Bleah. You truly are a sad man, and the “liberals” who take your side are fools, being shortsighted and greedy…. and worse, liars.

3. Zifnab says:

Lieberman’s not a Democrat anymore, Dan. Try to keep up.

4. Jeff says:

In fairness to Gore, he expected to get the same preferential treatment by the media as the rest of the Democrats… Bob already gave him an unconditional green light (“green” might not be the proper word here) HINT FOR BOB: It’s not about his house, its about the energy he consumes.
    Bob, let me explain something to you: If you go around saying that there is a huge problem and we all need to change, the first person you should change is yourself.
    I remember a quote by Lev Tolstoy, it goes something like: “Every man wants to change the world, few desire to change themselves” (I read the book in Russian, so I don’t know how it translates perfectly)
    I am paraphrasing, but I think it comes from War and Peace.
    So for Al “listen to me” Gore, WE all must change, but he can remain the same, and keep doing the thing that we can’t… these are truly starnge times in which we live.

5. Hard Right says:

6. Alex says:

Personally, since they don’t list a source, I’m just dying to know where TCPR got the data on Gore’s energy usage. My guess is that it involves some combination of the words “thin” and “air.”

7. Zifnab says:

With articles like “Minimum Wage Hike Means Maximum Harm for Working Poor”, that defy every last vestige of factual evidence on the subject, I have no reason to disbelieve the Tennesse Center for Policy Research or suspect it has any right-wing agenda of its own.

8. BobInStamford says:

Word is that several swift boat veterans (heros one and all) are employed by the Tennessee utilities. They are making sure that the truth comes out.

9. Jeff says:

“Lieberman’s not a Democrat anymore, Dan. Try to keep up.”
    “Independent Democrat” isn’t a Democrat?
    “My guess is that it involves some combination of the words “thin” and “air.””
    That my guess as to were “human-caused Global warming” comes from too.
    In all seriousness, any newspaper cites an-named sources, and are rarely questioned. The Guardian (UK newspaper) has reported that 4-5 Generals will quit if we do the right thing and bomb the crap out of Ahmedinijad, and they cited 4th hand un-named sources…
    “I have no reason to disbelieve the Tennesse Center for Policy Research or suspect it has any right-wing agenda of its own.”
    I will actually side with Zifnab on this one, but fact is fact. It’s obvious they planned to release this after Gore got his Oscar, so I would assume that they are right-leaning – but how is this any different from CREW releasing the Mark Foley IM’s right before the election? They both might be dirty tactics (although CREW’s might have been illegal), but that is politics.
    Both Gore and Foley are wrong – I didn’t like the fact that Foley is a dispicable human being, but i accept it. I think that you should accept that Gore doesn’t necessarily practice his “belief.”

10. Zifnab says:

“Independent Democrat” isn’t a Democrat?
    Last I checked he was a Conneticut-for-Lieberman-ian. Nothing Democrat about it. He caucused with us cause old habits die hard. But he didn’t win the primary, he wasn’t taking Democratic caucus money, and sure as hell hasn’t embraced any of the Democratic political positions since his re-election. He’s said that he plans to vote Republican this Presidential election, and he’s been voting Republican on the Senate floor more consistantly than several Republicans I could name.
    So please, if you’re going to smear the Democratic party, at least have the decency to point to Senators who are actually members.

11. Zifnab says:

“but how is this any different from CREW releasing the Mark Foley IM’s right before the election? They both might be dirty tactics (although CREW’s might have been illegal)”
    And I’ll agree with you hear. I’d like to know who Gore is buying his power from and whether or not he’s invested in clean energy. I’d like to know how many solar panels his house has on it. And I’d like to know how many floresent light-bulbs line his ceilings.
    I also agree that CREW releasing the Foley bit before the election was blatant political manuvuering. But I think you’re right, they found what Foley was doing to be perfectly legal – he didn’t actually sleep with a page until the page turned 18. Under Laurance v. Texas, that’s perfectly in bounds. Of course, the Republicans sat on the Foley scandal for a full five years previously. I don’t think they planned to release the information after the election. So I don’t see the problem.
    I’m just a bit tired of hearing only half the story (if that) from these conservative money-tanks. We all remember John McCain’s black baby and John Kerry’s ill-gained Purple Heart. Both of which were total bullshit lies. At least when CREW drops a bombshell, the bomb’s got a bit of explosive in it.

12. templar knight says:

Ziffy, I thought the Democrats had a big tent, and allowed a number of competing idealogies. He’s just not voting for the left wing, or the moonbatty side of the Democratic Party. That’s your only objection, I’ll bet.
    And you serfs, behave, King Al should be able to do whatever he wants. Where do you serfs get the idea that you should be able to question the king? He knows whats best for all of us, and he will lie, cheat and steal to prove it. Now, sit down and shut up!

13. Jeff says:

Look who’s on the list. According to Senate Democrats… he’s a Democrat.
    And Lieberman chose to re-join the Democrat party after the election.

14. BobInStamford says:

Well well, this is the ‘president’ of this ‘independent’ ‘nonprofit’ ‘nonpartisan’ ‘center’.
    American Enterprise Institute? Human Events?? Best of all, Belmont University – is that a correspondence school or something????
    Surge on, brave heros!!

15. Jeff says:

In fariness CAIR and CREW both claim the same… AARP, EFF…
    And Human Events doesn’t claim to be non-partisan, their slogan is “Leading the Conservative movement since 1944″
    If I’m a brave hero, you’re a cowardly loser?

16. scarshapedstar says:

“Just goes to show, if your “product” is popular enough or strikes the right political chord, you have a shot at winning. Sad, really.”
    I agree. We should only give Oscars to mid-afternoon made-for-TV movies like “The Laci Peterson Story”.

17. Jeff says:

I honestly don’t care about the Oscars… I haven’t seen half the movies, don’t know half the people… Most people including “Hard Right” have figured out that the Oscars are about a statement (I heard that is why Scorsezi (sp?) got an Oscar)
    It’s funny Gore was telling me to trade my car in for a Hybrid, and kill the economy for the Kyoto accords, while he consumed as much in that speech as I do in a whole day… Lovely.
    Remind me, when he speaks is he shuttling in on a hybrid Gulfstream?

18. splashtc says:

Gore is still in shock that he lost the presidential election-because of Nadar who ran the anti big business/green campaign.
    That’s why he’s obsessed about this subject.

19. mightyjoeyoung says:

Ummm…this just proves he has a big house. Seriously. What does this prove? What does a house of that size normally use in terms of energy? Are there offices in the house? What steps have been taken to reduce consumption in that house? What was the energy consumption BEFORE they were implemented? The comparison to the average american household is absurd.
    I guarantee none of you asked these questions…hence we get more of the same anti-Gore BS. Yes. Al Gore is a hypocrite because he has to fly a jumbo jet to attend a symposium in Asia. He could have taken 6 months and doggie paddled.

20. aussie bruce says:

Joe Lieberman was apparently the last decent Democrat. Too bad, he’s a nice guy. The rest of the Dem’s appear to be no better than a pile of manure. In Permaculture terms, we would say ‘compost ‘em’.
    There. A Green solution to everything.

21. Jeff says:

That’s actually pretty funny splashtc, and ironic…
    Does that mean the “the planet is going to boil us alive crowd” were just looking for a pretty face?
    Actually Gore keeps getting fatter, he’s more like a rich relative who lost everything and still has a few nice suits left…
    I remembered him being a fairly fit guy, was that my imagination? Maybe he is over photosynthesizing because of global warming?

22. Buzzy says:

I love seeing the left try to defend Al Gore’s polluting lifestyle and the total hypocracy of his message. They seem to think that its OK for a single person to pollute more than most third world nations if they pay the TAX on their pollution. Of course the rest of us can’t afford to purchase those “offsets” so we need to walk and just add another few blankets while this “global warming” winter never seems to end. That’s right kids, “offsets” are a form of taxation that only the rich and powerful can afford or apparently even know where to purchase. All the while I have plenty of trees, my yearly electrical bill is less than $1k and drive about 5k miles per year in a modern vehicle with all pollution equipment intact I’m a flat earther because I don’t think that all climate change is man mande. That fat bas***d gets to pollute all he wants because he pays a “TAX”.

23. templar knight says:

Buzzy, I couldn’t have said it better myself. Bravo!

24. TheSpartan says:

I’d prefer to see the actual bill than to take the word of a right wing source that has a vested interest in people believing global warming is a hoax.

25. David says:

For all the stuck pigs squealing out their “arguments” that have nothing to do with the point, a short restatement: Algore is a hypocrite. He preaches energy conservation but practices it not. End of story.
    best of all are such arguments as those put forward by BobINStamford, who apparently thinks that silly *ad hominem* fallacies are arguments, viz.,
    BIS: “Best of all, Belmont University – is that a correspondence school or something????”
    Yeh, right, BobInStamford. Let’s see… in their respective categories, as rated by U.S. News and World Report in their popular annual college and university rankings, the University of Connecticut (OK, I’m assuming Bob’s from Stamford, Connecticut) ranked #67, which is not bad, considering it’s in Connecticut.
    Of course, Pepperdine (where BobInStamford would like us NOT to know the president of TCPR earned his Masters) is ranked #54 in the same class by USNews…
    Oh, and the “correspondence school” BobInStamford referred to (Belmont University)? I didn’t spend time doing the drill down, since BobInStamford’s argument is impeached by his attempt to steer folks from the mark, but its grad program is rated number 10 in its geographical region.
    Not bad for a “correspondence school”… which happens to also be the second-largest private university in the state of Tennesee. Of course, I have little doubt, given the calumnious tenor of his comment, that BobInStamford would consider famous Belmont University alumni such as Sarah Ophelia Colley to be up to his standards, but I’d rather have Minnie Pearl give me a “Howdy” than listen to (or read) drivel such as his fake argument.
    Casting slurs that have no foundation in fact and do not have any bearing on the facts at issue. seeking to impeach a source rather than arguing the facts at issue is typical of folks who have no facts to argue.
    It’s called an *ad hominem* fallacy.
    Cast slurs. “Put” “everything” “in” “scare quotes” and just hope that no one notices that the so-called argument has no point.

26. yonason says:

PEOPLE, PEOPLE! HELLO, GLOBAL WARMING IS REAL!
    . . . maybe.
    Of course, that still doesn’t alter the fact the Al Gore has no rhythm, uh, I mean is a hypocrit, (and I still can’t spell).
    Now that’s settled, here’s a link to a few amusing and informative stories to take your mind off the hype, and get it back on the facts where it belongs
    And, leave it to Argentina (!!!!) to be out ahead of the USA on this????
    Way to go, Argentina!
    What those Climate Cultist fools are doing to this country is profoundly immoral!

27. Zifnab says:

The joke of it all is that conservatives desperately want Al Gore to be a hypocrite, regardless of the facts. Kinda like they desperately want Iraq to have WMDs, regardless of the facts. And trickle-down economics should work even when it doesn’t, regardless of the facts.
    I mean, the more you guys scream “hypocrite” the more I get the feeling you’re all full of it. After all, if Al Gore was serious, he wouldn’t drive a car, he’d drive a Segway. And he wouldn’t live in a mansion, he’d live in a shack powered by potatoe batteries. And he would never appear on TV or win Oscars. And no one would mention his name. And we could all go back to building smoke stacks and charging $3-4/gallon for gasoline while the car industry tells us to wait another ten years for hydrogen powered flying cars.

28. LOL says:

guys, don’t defend Gore on this one. He’s full of shit to spend that much on energy. That being said, I wonder what his energy consumption compares to the Crawford ranch or Giuliani’s place. All these millionaire politicans are wasteful. So let’s not pretend to be on our high horses just cause you caught Gore with his pants down.

29. TheSpartan says:

As it turns out many questions were left un answered on this one. Gore and Tipper both run their offices out of the home in question so would it not be more fair to rate it alongside other businesses of like size and scope? I mean the guy is running global communications out of the place, ya think he might need to turn the fax machine on once in awhile?

30. LOL says:

i suppose you have a point there spartan. In the whole scheme of things one house using $30,000 in energy bills is not much. For the people who actually give a shit about the environment it is nothing. If Gore is successful in his campaign, it all becomes justified. For those interested in scoring points off their ideological opponents, then it’s a headline.

31. yonason says:

“That being said, I wonder what his energy consumption compares to the Crawford ranch or Giuliani’s place.”
    The hypocricy comes in when someone says it’s bad and does it when he tells others not to. Bush and Giuliani aren’t pushing Global Warming. So the math.

32. yonason says:

That’s not “So the math” that’s “Do the math” Sorry

33. durand says:

Hmmmm…who’s greener? Bush or Gore?
    Google is my friend.

34. LOL says:

I dont know about Bush, but Giuliani is definitely pushing global warming. Please do better research in the future. Furthermore, wastefulness and pollution are bad in of themselves, regardless of whether you believe in global warming.

35. durand says:

For LOL,
    Did you read the link? You know, the story about the Presidents home? The one he lives in? The one thats designed to conserve resources?
    Do better research in the future?
    For crying out loud, the information on President Bushs home was first published in 2001 by the Chicago Tribune. I simply googled ‘bush ecco friendly home.’
    Ya dumbass.
    “Seriously, after Clear Airs and Healthy Forests and James “I don’t believe in science” Inhofe as your leading environmental initatives, I don’t know where the Republican-American caucus has room to talk about conservation whatsoever.’
    by: Zifnab | Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 12:30 AM
    I was responding to that bullshit.
    Durand

36. yonason says:

“Giuliani is definitely pushing global warming” — LOL
    Well, I’ll be! And praising Arnold for being a “progressive leader”
    Talk about shooting yourself in the conservative foot. I can’t vote for him, now.
    THANKS!!!
    But just because he approves of it doesn’t mean he’s a crusader the way high priest Al Gorilla is. There is a BIG difference there. No, Gore is far and away the sleeze we say he is, and probably much worse.
    Haven’t you heard? Gore “does” carbon offsets.
    “. . . ‘carbon offsets’ work . . . like in Henry VIII’s day. He’d be planning a big ox roast and piling on the calories but he’d give a groat to a starving peasant to carry on starving for another day and the result would be calorie-neutral.
    . . . [and]
    . . . Reverend Al. . . . . buys his carbon offsets from Generation Investment Management LLP, . . . a tax-exempt U.S. 501(c)3. And who’s the chairman and founding partner? Al Gore. . . .[who pays for it] with the money he gets from his long-time relationship with Occidental Petroleum.” — Mark Steyn.
    HOW SWEET IS THAT?!
    see also . . .
    He is the consumate con-artist.

37. yonason says:

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that’s probably why he’s consumnig so much electricity. The more power he consumes, the more “offsets” he has to buy. The more offsets he buys, the more of his money goes into that tax shelter of his, so the less taxes he pays and the more profits he makes.
    And you thought he was just some nutjob, when he’s really the con-man of the century.

38. A Far Too Convenient $mear: Part One

(Note – visit this follow-up post for a link to Tennessee Center for Policy Research tax forms.) Did you honestly think that the Right Wing $mear machine was going to let Al Gore stand up with the terrific team who…